Monday 19 October 2009

Is There An Ideal Business For Teachers?

A musing over the long standing argument that service and profit do not mix.

In other words, do teaching and business mix?

As I write, I am reminded of a speech that I attended at the Lowry Centre, Salford in the U.K. a few years back that was given by the lady who had just been appointed the unenviable task of managing the centre. Her opening line was one of the best I have ever heard - yes, even better than Last Night I Dreamed I Went to Manderly Again - well, perhaps not better than that but more appropriate because we're not talking fiction here but hard fact.

No, what she said was 'When I took this job, I was told that I had to run the centre as a service to the public but at the same time make a profit at which point I was immediately filled with dread because in my experience the two have never been compatible'…or words to that effect. I related to this entirely having worked a business as a driving instructor for over fifteen years and bent over backwards moving hell and high water for my pupils, the results of which were usually along either of the following lines: 'You were right all along, Hilary - I'm glad you were so thorough and made me learn properly'. Needless to say, such a conversation usually followed a successful result after a lot of pressure from me to make the pupil cooperate by having the requisite number of lessons.

The other conversation went thus, usually following a situation whereby lots of learning had eventually taken place following what I could only describe as lessons more closely compared to pulling teeth: 'Sorry, Hilary, but it's jut taking too long - my Dad says I should be doing blah, blah, blah by now and I'm going elsewhere'. Aside from the fact that this was sometimes a relief and a blessing, it does show that what the public expects as a service from you is quite often well over and above what they are happy to pay in terms of hours and cash.

So, can we really run a business that allows us to use what is undoubtedly a gift when it comes to describing teaching? I honestly don't believe deep down that we can provide the same service to people in the same way you can as a paid teacher or coach within the education system. This is because if the agreement was private, you probably wouldn't get those same people to pay you - some may pay you more, of course, but only if they knew much about teaching, that is.

Is it the case, then, that we cannot continue to give service and run a business into the bargain?
I actually believe we can. What we have to consider is precisely what we mean when we say that we are providing a service. I think we are actually educating people to understand precisely how the world works and how to gain from the system as it is. The world is not perfect but I have learned that you can show some people the way to better things using a system that provides the education and tools to be successful. As with all things in life, not everyone will be a success but, they will have received an excellent education in marketing and I believe that education is never wasted. Even those that never join the ranks of the big hitters, then, will have gained, even if some are going to gain more than others.

In other words, it's not unlike our education system right now. Some are going to come out better than others. The difference is that, like the lady who gave the presentation mentioned above, I accept that the in the end the service given may not work in the same way as a service to which we are used to expecting help and support from an ever running tap.

Rather, that the true meaning of receiving is in giving as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers